In some cases, yes, you will require permission to have work done on your trees or hedges. 

Tree preservation orders and conservation areas protect specific trees and locations, so checking for these before any work begins is essential.

If you fail to seek the correct permissions, you and your chosen tree contractor will potentially face hefty fines and criminal prosecution. 

Details regarding conservation areas and TPOs are available online, and you can contact your local council or planning authority for further clarification.

It’s also worth noting that some other factors may constrain work to trees:

You may require a felling licence, provided by the Forestry Commission, for tree felling, which involves more than 5m³ of timber or 2m³ if you intend to sell it.

The Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 protects wildlife habits, including bat roosts and the nests of wild birds.

Should the tree contain a protected wildlife habitat, you may need a special permit from Natural England or have to delay the work. 

Occasionally, covenants attached to deeds and additional conditions attached to planning permissions may restrict the scope of permitted tree work.

Dead, dying, diseased, dangerous trees are exempt from TPOs, but you may still need to apply for 5 Day’s notice from your local planning authority. 

At Guildford Tree Surgeons, we always check for protection orders and, if required, can apply and obtain permits for work on your behalf.

We have an excellent understanding of the application process and a great track record for getting work approved. 

If you’d like assistance with a protected tree or are wondering if your tree is protected, contact us today.